April 18, 2010

no protection used

Monday, Randy began the process of sorting through all of the projects that he wanted to put on the new website and made a new folder for each project with the images that would go with it. While he was going through all of the files, he realized some of the images he wanted to use were missing so Meg and I went to the CD archive to retrieve missing images. I know I stated it before, but having everything backed up in multiple locations has been advantageous more than once since I’ve been at RBA.

Since the courtroom and the missing files, I have made my own equipment and files a little more secure. I went through my computer and backed everything up to my external hard drive and then isolated them from each other in case some tragedy occurred.

After missing files were replaced, the web engineer requested that all the images be a certain size and DPI to be sure it would look right on the website.  Randy told us while we were pulling all of the project images together that, “You are in a very unique situation. Unlike all of the other interns, you will know every significant project that we (RBA) has been involved in.” When I thought about this, I couldn’t agree more. The experience we have had so far at RBA is unlike any of our classmates who are also doing the 6 month internship. In most firms, the new guy (me) doesn’t get to interact with the boss (randy). Starting my architecture career at RBA was a blessing before I even knew it.

With temperatures rising into the middle 70’s on Tuesday, we decided it was the right time to do some long, over-due spring cleaning. We organized our paper file system and filed away all idle projects. Next we did something that most offices wouldn’t do.  Meg and I were sent to the shop to retrieve a number of box fans. Next, we removed the protective covers from the front and back sides of the fan frame so the blade was exposed and mounted them throughout the office. With the help of the fans drawing cooler air up from the basement and pushing the warmer air out of the office, we can leave the  windows open and the AC unit off.  No complaint here.  Randy said we can were shorts on days no clients are coming by. 

By the middle of the week, we finished odds and ends around the office and took on a new project called Kobe Steakhouse. Randy had been in contact with the clients for about a year now and finally gave us the go ahead to start the design process. Before we began designing, we took a lot of the same steps we do in school. By this I mean, we studied other Kobe Steakhouses and what about their design we wanted to improve upon, wrote a list of items the client said they needed, and studied what would work, design wise, based on the proposed location. After a few iterations, Randy reviewed our progress and began to steer us into a direction that could really be something special.

Thursday night, Meg and I heard that a Pecha Kucha was going to be held in the Old Market area. It was good to see this culture change. After being in an office environment for three months, the atmosphere and age distribution was more like being back in Manhattan or studio. We sat at a table with other University of Nebraska Lincoln architecture students and learned a little bit about their architecture program.

Intrigued by the Pecha Kucha session held by UNL students, Meg and I decided to take a 45 minute drive to Lincoln and see what was going on in Lincoln. It turned out it was the Spring Game for UNL so about 80,000 other people came to Lincoln as well. All in all, the day turned out very well. We were able to see Lincoln at full speed with lots of people and entertainment.

Leave a Reply