April 18, 2010

I vacuumed !!!

Monday’s target was finishing work on the website. Over the weekend, Randy went through what Jon and I completed the week before. He placed the images he wanted into a final folder. I had to crop and resize images to fit the web requirements .

Working at RBA has given me a completely different understanding and appreciation for websites and website creation. The time spent searching for images, descriptions, and drawings was unbelievable.  There were so many files in so many locations. Some of the files were on the network, some on CD’s, and others on the external hard drives.

I gained knowledge about organization and documentation that I never learned anywhere else. At Latona Architects, I worked on projects but never on a website or publications. International Architects was a fairly small firm with around ten architects. I printed multiple publication projects but was never involved in the process. I was always intrigued by the publications but never valued the time and effort it required.

Tuesday was spring cleaning day, something which has been put off for too long.  I’ve been waiting for this day since I started work here. The studio was dirty because the winter snow brought in salt, sand, and mud. Everyone had to pitch in because there were only four of us working in the office. Chris and Randy took care of the random papers around the office, while Jon and I vacuumed, dusted, and organized. My duty was the vacuum, which happens to be my favorite cleaning tool. I have to admit I am a messy person but do not like dirt. Vacuuming the studio space, conference room, and lower level took up most of the day.

The rest of the day was used to document all the RBA studio computers, tools and electrical equipment. Randy realized, since it was so easy for someone to steal tools from the shop, he better document all the studio equipment.

The remainder of the week was spent on Kobe. Revising drawings and making changes to the elevations was essential.  The Kobe project has two phases, the shell phase and the interior phase. The schematic design is complete and we begun design development along with construction documents. With the Kobe project I have learned the importance of design development. Design development was used last semester in studio but I never fully understand the reasoning for it until this week. The design was mediocre and nothing stood out so we used design development to reevaluate and brain storm solutions to improve the project.

Saturday had the perfect weather for the outdoor activities at the Lincoln Spring. When we arrived, we headed for the downtown area. We did not stay long because it was so crowded. Since I had never been to Lincoln, I did some research on the area. I found a website for a Nebraska Nature Center about fifteen minutes from downtown. As we were driving to the Nature Center we found a Nature Park. There were people having picnics, throwing the ball, and walking. After walking about four miles to the other side of the park we found the Nature Center and trail but it was already closed. I hope to return to Lincoln and walk the nature trail.

Leave a Reply