February 7, 2010

NYC booksproject

Monday’s concentration was dedicated to the New York Books. A lot of the time was spent finding the images, drawings, and photographs of the projects on the network.  Once the images were found they could be placed into the correct InDesign layout. Each photograph had a set margin to fit within. After all the cropping and editing the book would be ready to print, this would become another time problem. This was a time consuming tasks because there are thousands of file on the network. Also, it took a while to figure out how to get the printers to print the correct margins and colors. Many trial and errors occur before they were printing at a steady hum. This project has taught me more on RBA’s past projects and how they evolved.

Printing began bright and early Tuesday morning. The majority of the morning was spent on this project and communicating back and forth with the director of the Take a Seat project about some questions about the design. Being able to communicate with the director was very interesting.  When I worked at LaTona Architects, I was not given the opportunity to work back and forth with a client. I found it to be a great lesson to what I will be doing after graduation. Jon and I met with Randy and Kim about another office organizational task we will be working on, creating a contact list for the network.  Our goal was to find a program that would allow everyone in the office to access for information on client, consultants, contractors, and anyone else apart of the process.

Before returning to the NYC Books project, G.A. House wanted some more interior images of the Optic House, which we had submitted about two weeks ago. Randy wanted a couple of black and white line SketchUp perspectives to match the theme of the drawings already submitted.  Once finding the correct 3D model we were able to clean the model up, play around with different scenes, and experiment with different shadows to get the most dynamic images. The process did not end there. When the angles and shadows were perfect in SketchUp we exported the drawing into Photoshop, to clean it up some more and really make it pop. I am gaining more knowledge about Photoshop and feel this will strengthen my projects next year.

Monarch Three was the book I began on Wednesday. But, before I could dive too far into the project, G.A. House wanted a board for the Sod House. Once again I was in Photoshop, this time testing some tools to create a remarkable board.  Every time I use Photoshop I learn another way to do something awesome.

Thursday consisted of putting more books together. U.S. Data needed more images, so I searched the network and placed them into InDesign. The process of printing these books takes a lot of patients. Half of the time is spent finding the images, drawings, and descriptions, and the other half is spent on printing. The books are strenuous but I feel like the end result will pay off.

Friday came up before I knew it. It was the day of the DiNucci meeting. We prepared by cleaning up the conference room, having the model on display, a scale, pens, and the job file. I began printing the drawings early to make sure nothing went wrong. While printing the DiNucci drawings, I also had the photo printers printing books as well. The meeting began at 4:30 p.m. I found this meeting very exciting. There was so much information I did not know went into building a house.  Overall the meeting went pretty well. There are a few minor adjustments to be made to the design but that is about it.

Friday night, Saturday, and Sunday, was family filled. My parents came in town so I hung out with them. We were unable to do anything around town because it had snowed all weekend long. The roads were a mess. My mom has nine cousins who live out here and five of the brothers live together in a house close to downtown. Most of the weekend was spent over there socializing. Around dinner time on Saturday we ordered some pizza from a local bakery, Orsi’s. Omaha’s pizza crust is different from St. Peters because we normally eat St. Louis style pizza, which consists of extremely thin crust and square slices. This pizza place we went to was much thicker but still good.  The other unique element of this place was that it is a bakery. The pizzas are not ordered by small, medium, or large; they are ordered by half a sheet or a whole sheet, just like cake. I found that to be very interesting. I would defiantly recommend this place.

Leave a Reply